market-farming - [Market-farming] Slug control in mild winter hoophouse

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Daniel Botkin" <dbotkin AT valinet.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Slug control in mild winter hoophouse
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 13:29:02 -0500

Since we're talking about Vegetable Weevil Larvae in winter hoophouse... does anyone have a good strategy for slug control on same (chard, broccoli, bok choi, etc...? My hoophouse is 65x24' and temps here (W. Mass.) havent been any colder than elsewhere in the east. My hope was that sub-freezing temps in hoophouse would diminish slug probs while leaving the greens and brassicas quite happy. We don't keep any fowl (widely recommended as natural slug control) nor would I want to interrupt growing cycle long enough to safely compost their manure inside the high value greenhouse space... thanks!
Daniel Botkin
www.laughingdogfarm.com