market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Slug control in mild winter hoophouse

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Slug control in mild winter hoophouse
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 15:59:05 -0500

On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 13:29:02 -0500, you wrote:

>Since we're talking about Vegetable Weevil Larvae in winter hoophouse...
>does anyone have a good strategy for slug control on same (chard, broccoli,
>bok choi, etc...? My hoophouse is 65x24' and temps here (W. Mass.) havent
>been any colder than elsewhere in the east. My hope was that sub-freezing
>temps in hoophouse would diminish slug probs while leaving the greens and
>brassicas quite happy. We don't keep any fowl (widely recommended as natural
>slug control) nor would I want to interrupt growing cycle long enough to
>safely compost their manure inside the high value greenhouse space...
>thanks!

I find that the iron phosphate pellets work well. There are two brands,
Sluggo is one and Es-Car-Go (from Gardens Alive) is the other.

http://www.biconet.com/crawlers/sluggo.html

http://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn=2111&ss=es-car-go

They are non-toxic to wildlife and pets.

Pat
Blog (mainly gardening and cooking related):
http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com/