market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Vegetable Weevil Larvae

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: lists AT rhomestead.com, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Vegetable Weevil Larvae
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 18:16:51 -0500

Pam -

Looking up "vegetable weevil" in Cranshaw's GARDEN INSECTS of NORTH AMERICA, I get this under "other vegetable weevils":

"Feeding injury by the larva is more concentrated around the soil surface, causing stunting and defoliation as well a boring of larger roots."

"carrot weevil" = " The young grubs tunnel into the stalks and work their way downward into the roots."

Carrot wevil, Vgetableweevil, "whitefringed beetle" are the 3 groups under "Vegetable weevils" There is no indication that any of them eat leaves.

I don't know if you were making a joke about the larva reproducing but, of course, larvae are incapable of reproduction, unless 'parthenogenetically' is something I missed out on in bio lab.

I'd recommend that you get the flashlight tonight and spend some time out there finding out what eats your plants. I've found worms on tatsoi leaves at night outdoors in January, worms you'd never have seen during the day. Of course, bt should have 'smoked' them.