market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Chickweed at Market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Sue Wells" <farmersue AT hughes.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Chickweed at Market
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 10:28:41 -0500

I found this on the web;

Chickweed is generally used as food. I often nibble on it when I'm out in
the yard. It has a mild, refreshing flavor. The leaves and stems can be
added to salads, cooked as greens, or added to anything you might add greens
to (which, to me, is just about everything). Just don't cook it for more
than a few minutes. Chickweed is particularly high in ascorbic acid (vitamin
C) and mucilage, and also provides rutin, para amino benzoic acid (PABA),
gamma linolenic acid (GLA, an omega-6 fatty acid derivative), niacin,
riboflavin (B2), thiamin (B1), beta carotene (A), magnesium, iron, calcium,
potassium, zinc, phosphorus, manganese, sodium, selenium, and silicon. The
seeds are also edible. The plant can be dried for storage. Chickweed is a
fairly safe food, however, as almost everything is somehow toxic if you use
enough of it, over-consumption of this plant may give you diarrhea.

Sue Wells