market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Chickweed at Market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shawnee Flowerfarmer" <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Chickweed at Market
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 18:28:43 -0600

I used to sell wild purslane-to Chicago area restaurants-for 3.00 a pound....just pulled as an intact rosette, washed, with roots left on per chef's request.  This was a high profit item since the purslane could be quickly pulled and packed..compared to almost any other crop in the fields. (ten pounds of purslane vs, say, ten pounds of carrots.  No contest)

I would think that chickweed would need more careful washing since it is so fine-leaved, but it should require less processing than radish micro-greens.  If the micro-greens are grown organically in a bench or flat and scissor cut to harvest, there would be more labor to cover.

Shawnee, zone 5 although the weather is more like zone 7 right now