market-farming - [Market-farming] re FMNP/WIC

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: frshstrt AT baldwin-telecom.net
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] re FMNP/WIC
  • Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 11:57:48 -0600

The program in Wisconsin is very good and easy to use since most of the markets are producer driven,i,e, vendors must grow what they sell. I have tried to get more local growers who don't necessarily go to markets to get involved and become vendors who take vouchers. Since many elderly don't have access to fresh locally grown produce. Unfortunately many growers have the mistaken idea that this is hard for them to do. I have had only WIC users come here and I am only 1 of 2 growers who take the vouchers at our farm stands. Alot of vouchers are used at the markets but if you aren't at the entrance to the market- vouchers aren't used that much.
I have had many users come who have no idea about how their food is produced and where it comes from, and many who drive vehicles that are much nicer than any I have ever had. I would rather see more focus on educating the recipeints , especially those using WIC vouchers Lu in Wisc