market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 46, Issue 4

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: SaladG AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 46, Issue 4
  • Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 17:34:22 EST

It seem like every state has some different rules for WIC and the Senior program. I don't know what state you are in but I feel most of the rules a pretty much the same.  If you will send me a snail address I will send you a copy for the rules and regulations for our state.

This program has been around for a long time and some states have been very slow in starting the program because of the administration cost in most states cost some money out of their Ag Dept budget to get it running and to maintain the rules at the Market level, with the use of professional people to monitor the farmers markets that are eligible.

I feel it is great program for you young mothers and for the older people on a fixed income to be able to buy very fresh produce at a good price.  But many of the young mothers have no Idea how to fix this produce, so a person should be prepared to give a lot of instruction on how to prepare and get this food to the table.  We made up handouts to try to teach them how to wash and sanitize along with different idea's on how to fix.

We went 100% you must grow, which has always been our policy anyway, but some growers a still complaining. But how much do they actually grow anyway???

Phil from Iowa