market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 46, Issue 4

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 46, Issue 4
  • Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 20:24:40 -0500

As previously said, the rules differ among states. In New York, the coupons
must be used at a "farmers market" that has at least two produce vendors who
supposedly grow at least 50% of what they sell. In some states they can be
used at farmstands. In New York the coupons may only be used for produce
grown "locally", which New York defines as within New York and adjoining
states - PA, NJ, CT, MA, VT. Not how most of us would define "local". Also,
if the market has more strict rules of percentage of produce grown, the
market rules override the state rules. However, what has happened is that at
markets with wholesale vendors (or growers who buy a lot of stuff
wholesale), the program is used as an excuse to not require more than 50% of
produce to be grown by the vendor, and to encourage the importation of
out-of-season distant produce, or items that no vendors sell. It becomes a
vicious cycle - our fruit growers won't come because of the main wholesaler,
and the wholesaler is justified because the state wants fruit at the market.
It also handicaps those who do grow their own, even with season extension,
and particularly new startups, because customers tend to establish their
buying patterns early in the market season, and stick with that vendor. Our
program doesn't start until July 1, but since the rules for most of our
markets are lax, the wholesalers have huge triple booths of fruit and
beautiful grocery-store type produce from the first day. And since they
don't have to spend time producing the stuff, they can go to many markets,
keep their mark-ups low, and undersell those of us who are producing.

I am not saying you shouldn't participate. I do, and made a whopping $174 of
coupons this year, about what I did last year. There are wholesalers who
make their main living off of coupons.

I think in cities where grocery store prices are high and neighbors don't
have large gardens, the program may benefit the farmers, but in the
boondocks where incomes and prices tend to be lower, the downward price
pressure and the disparity in display really hurts local growers.

OK, that wasn't your question, but we have had a very rough two years in our
farmers market cooperative with some of us trying to get enforcement of at
least the 50%, though we did get a 70/30 rule into our regs. It has been
very nasty, with personal vindictive attacks against those trying to impart
some integrity to the market. It may be changing, because to prove they were
right the opposition agreed to a survey, and the customers overwhelmingly
said they wanted local produce, defined local fairly restrictively, etc.

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead
Peru NY
http://rhomestead.com