market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] NAIS

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] NAIS
  • Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 08:19:15 -0600

We DO want trace-back on CAFO animals. We HAVE trace-back on ours -
they go directly from us to the processor to the customer - can't get
much more direct tracing than that. It's not that NAIS is all bad, it
needs an exemption for small holders who raise animals that are marketed
directly to the customer. For us, it would require expensive handling
facilities that we don't have and can't afford on our scale as well as
buying the tags and all the paraphernalia that will be required and
keeping non-useful records.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm