market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] NAIS

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <avalonfarmshomegrown AT earthlink.net>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] NAIS
  • Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 08:56:20 -0500

From: "Brigette Leach"
> We all wanted trace back when the recent e-coli outbreak occurred. Why
> resist a method of trace back on animal products so vehemently?

Because it will cost me money. My farm name is on every piece of meat I
sell, and I proudly want people to know where that meat came from. I can
already trace every piece of meat I sell back to the individual cow or
sheep...I can tell you his name, his mother's name, what he ate, when he
was born, etc. I don't like the government taking MORE of my money to
force me into a tracking system not as good as the one I've set up on my
own.

Aside from that, I don't think the NAIS will work. Most contaminated meat
isn't caught until (like the recent spinach problem) it's mixed with tons
of other meat and on the supermarket shelves. Instead of one cow's-worth
of contaminated meat, we've got tons. Feetlots where e. coli breeds and
the huge operations that mix tons of ground meat together are the problem.
Once the animal is cut up and comingled with other meat, tracking does no
good.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Cowbridge Farm