market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Okra

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Okra
  • Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 12:09:48 -0500

On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 10:28:40AM -0600, Wiediger, Alison wrote:
> We pick our okra small 'cause that's how the customers want it. Four
> inches is max size. The first market we had it, we priced at 2.00/lb and
> it flew out of the market. So we adjusted our price to $2.50/lb. We don't
> have a lot and it sells out, but even in our "southern" market, there isn't
> a lot of demand. Here's how I tell folks who aren't familiar with it to
> cook okra: Choose small pods, saut? whole in olive oil 3-4 minutes until
> bright green with a little browning. Serve with a sprinkling of coarse sea
> salt. Eat as finger food, holding the stem. Fabulous!!

I've often wondered about the origin of this "only small okra" consumer
mindset. I suspect it has to do with the prevalence of Clemson
Spineless and other inferior varieties; those that turn woody at 4"-6".
I pick my Louisiana Green Velvet and Emerald Velvet at 5"-7". Most of
the cost of producing okra is harvest and packing. Halving the length
nearly doubles the harvest cost. I would think that the <4" okra
should be worth more like $5/lb.

Willie