market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Charentais melons

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Charentais melons
  • Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 13:46:16 -0400

On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 12:11:11 -0500, you wrote:

>Well, let me tell you what the fuss is all about - I just got back from 2
>weeks in Provence and got to taste the real thing, fresh form the local
>farmer's markets. OH, MY GOD!!!! It was like eating concentrated perfume!
>
>So, what's the trick, has anybody grown them successfully in the US? I
>suspect Alabama may be too warm for them, but I'm more than willing to
>experiment to see if I can come close to Nirvana.

It's the 'terroir'. :)

I'm joking; I've just seen too many travel programs about France and French
wine. 'Terroir' - as I understand it - is the totality of the plant's
environment; which obviously does matter tremendously. But the French can
be kind of over-the-top about it, making it into a wine-snob type of thing.
'It's a common little melon but I think you'll be amused by its
pretensions.' That sort of thing. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terroir

Pat
Blog (mainly gardening and cooking related):
http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com/