market-farming - [Market-farming] the Charlottesville market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh Hauter <lhh AT hughes.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] the Charlottesville market
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 21:49:05 -0400

I would hope that a city the size of Charlottesville could
>support a farm the size of Polyface. Not so, apparently.

>-Allan

I had a visit today with a friend that sells flowers at the C'ville market. She says the market has about 100 vendors (not all of them are farmers) and that the customers are very supportive of their farmers. This time of year there is one farmer that sells poultry and beef. At other times of the year there are many others. She says that Joel doesn't sell in C'ville (she drives over the mountain in the fall and gets her turkey from him which she highly recommends).

In other words. C'ville, with its city sponsored market does support a large number of local farmers. Just because Joel chooses not to get on the waiting list to sell at the C'ville market doesn't mean that the city and community do not support small farmers. Charlottesville supports a larger market with more farmers than almost all other cities its size.

Leigh