market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Michael Pollan article

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Christine & Marlin" <glenecofarm AT planetcomm.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Michael Pollan article
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 13:26:44 -0400

I do not think that Joel Salatin ever went to D.C. farmers markets. He had
sold at the Staunton Farmers market up to about 5 years ago. He sold to
quite a few restaurants and health food stores.

Charlottesville, VA is at least 1 1/2 hours from where we live. Joel
doesn't really hinder our sales as we now have a CSA and sell at the
Harrisonburg Farmers Market on Saturdays.

Joel does deserve a lot of credit for popularizing pastured beef, chickens,
and pigs. He has charisma and I do appreciate him. I do not like to hear
harsh criticism of "big" business only because they are big.

That is something, if he published a financial disclosure. My biggest
criticism was that he had not figured his farm expenses accurately.

Christine Burkholder