market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] available N from soil organic matter

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: John Cowan <johncowan AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] available N from soil organic matter
  • Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 13:01:52 -0700

Each percent organic matter in the soil equal about 1000 lbs nitrogen [2,000,000 lbs x 1% x %5 N/OM]. Of that 2 to 5 percent is available per year depending on soil type and temperature [20-50 lbs / %OM / yr]. This is according to standard textbooks.

In my opinion, if the soil is biologically functional (in the best possible sense), then the amount of organic nitrogen available to plants could be substantially higher due to nitrogen fixation. It is frequently a mistake to plug the OM nitrogen into a simple formula to calculate the amount of out-sourced nitrogen to apply for a certain crop yield.

John Cowan

Mike Emers wrote:
Does anyone know a rough rule of thumb for the amount of nitrogen
available from the percent organic matter in the soil? I know there are
many variables including soil moisture and temperature but I'm looking
for a ballpark figure.

Thanks

Mike Emers
Rosie Creek Farm