market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] tent/shelters

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: road's end farm <organic101 AT linkny.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] tent/shelters
  • Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 09:10:49 -0400

On Apr 6, 2006, at 12:12 PM, logrock wrote:

I asked this same question last year, and we ended up with the EZ Up
from Sam's. They only carry one model and it was $200.

Not all EZUps are the same. I bought a cheap EZUP first, a homeowners model, the Dome. The next year I got a better one, the Speed Shelter, and am much happier with it. Portions of the Dome tended to come apart if there was any wind. I don't know whether they've improved it.

We then went to
the sporting good store and bought weights that look like dumbbell
weights with a notch in them...they were in the camping section.

That sounds like a better idea than the EZ Up weights I bought with the first model because they were on sale; these are sandbags that clip to the legs. They do work (with both models) but the bags aren't waterproof so the sand gets wet, and then so does anything you store next to them.
The only thing that's hard about putting them up alone is opening them out all the way; but I can put either of them up by myself without much trouble on grass (which provides some friction to hold the legs, as pavement doesn't), or if I can fasten legs on one end to something while I pull on the other. At the market(s) I go/have gone to, another vendor will usually grab hold of the other end for me.