market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] tent/shelters

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shelly Elliott" <shelly AT idlethyme.com>
  • To: <quiltingsue AT earthlink.net>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] tent/shelters
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 22:06:10 -0600

Sue,
Our market is in Cheyenne, Wyoming and we experience severe winds, especially in the fall. So far the well-anchored Easy-Ups have outlived the far more expensive tents. I anchor the back of my tent to my trailer (with rope) and use sand bags on the front. We had one day last season (partly cloudy so I left my tent down) where we had a microburst come through and instantly there were 60mph sustained winds for about 15 minutes. Tables, produce and tents went flying. Many of the easy-ups made it although those of us who could help started grabbing tents. We were very lucky nobody was hurt. The strange thing is that a minute before the wind cranked up I told a customer that the air felt strange and I then put my baby in the car seat and closed the door (he never sits in his seat during market). I was so thankful that my hands were free and my baby was safe when the microburt came up. I went from a cheap Kmart tent my first season to an $195 easy-up and I am quite satisfied. I can set mine up by myself. Hope this helps!
Shelly
----- Original Message ----- From: "Sue Wells" <quiltingsue AT earthlink.net>