market-farming - [Market-farming] New to this list

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tom at Limerock" <limerock AT thirdplanet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] New to this list
  • Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 13:09:22 -0500

Some things I do at our roadside market:

If you know somebody's name, use it!  It makes them feel special (they are because they are going to pay you for your work) and it also lets anyone within earshot know that someone is buying from you that bought before (a good sign).

I love to think back to one incident this past year.  A regular stopped with several of her lady-friends (non-regulars).  As she walked up I simply said "Hi Donna, how have you been?"  Immediately two ladies chirped up "Oh, must stop here a lot, they know you by name."  Made my week!

Or, I will greet folks with something like
"Nice to see you today."
"How the heck have you been?"
"How was your week?"  I like to make people feel like they have been stopping at our place for years, even if it has only been for weeks.  Once again, never underestimate what nearby people are 'thinking,' which hopefully will bring on the 'reacting' you are looking for.

True to my four-star training as a waiter, then restaurant manager, I try darn hard to greet everyone as soon as possible (15-30 seconds max).  If you are conducting a sale, or explaining some of the finer points of agriculture, you can always look them in the eyes, flash a sincere smile and nod, or a "Hi, I will be right with you."

You probably do most if not all of this instinctively, but I just felt like re-enforcing it.  I hate going anywhere and being left waiting and ignored or just greeted with "What do you want?"  (Darn that training!)