market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re-selling rules at Farmers' Markets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Old Timin'" <oldtimin AT williams-net.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re-selling rules at Farmers' Markets
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 10:47:15 -0500

A new market started locally here just this year. They were going to allow "limited" reselling, defined as basically something that could conceivably be grown locally. I at first had a big problem with this, thinking it would hurt my sales, it hasn't, as a matter of fact it is my best market to date. Another market I do would have customers come up looking for "peaches" no one would have them and we would never see them again. At the other market someone will have it. I specialize in cerified naturally grown heirloom vegetables, I charge roughly double what the resellers do, and always have a bigger crowd at my booth. Their stuff is no different that the grocers once you get them to taste what a vegetable can taste like it is not hard to steal there business.
Oldtimin