market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re-selling rules at Farmers' Markets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: SaladG AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re-selling rules at Farmers' Markets
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 09:40:00 EST

In a message dated 12/8/05 8:19:39 AM Central Standard Time, awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us writes:
greatest offenders also controlled the market
We finally have just given up on complaining about all the shipped in produce in our market, it was just getting us in trouble with the market management.  I do believe I will start selling banana's this year to make a point and do like so many of the other vendors are doing.  It is really a shame that the market has gone this way but when you are standing alone in this juncture there really isn't much can be done.  Even our Organic Cert grower want's to bring in non regional foods (is what they call it) to the market.  Peaches in early May is a little hard to believe that it is locally grown, and that is what the rules say. The only way we can compete in this market is to continue our newsletter and to keep improving our quality of our products.  I personally do not want to take the responsibility for selling someone else's product, I don't know how it was sprayed, washed, fertilized, and just in general handled by the grower.  Yuck..   Some people don't care what they are selling, I do.

Phil