market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pelleted Seeds

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Kelly Saxer" <kellysaxer AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pelleted Seeds
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 19:51:28 -0700

Hi All,

I wanted to get folk's opinion on pelleted seeds. I use a walk-behind Earthway seeder at my farm and it does a pretty darn good job for most everything, with the exception of turnips, rutabaga and other brassica-size seeds that need room to develop. As a result, I spend a TON of time thinning. I've heard of pelleted seeds, but haven't ever tried them. Do you think this would help remedy the shortcomings of the Earthway seeder for brassica-sized seeds. Also, I've heard that pelleted seeds sometimes have germination problems...is this true? And if so, would they we worthwhile to try?

Thanks for your advice,

Kelly Saxer
Desert Roots Farm
Queen Creek, AZ