market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tomato blight

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Barb Miller <barbmill AT penn.com>, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tomato blight
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 06:06:59 -0400

Here in the eastern panhandle of West Virginia (about 40 minutes south of PA border), we still have tomato plants, but they've noticeably slowed down in their ripening. I've heard that this does not have to do with the reduced sunlight that is happening as we approach fall, but rather with nutritional depletion. I don't think we have nutritional depletion. I'm wondering about others: did you have LOT of ripe tomatoes in the past two weeks but now LOTS of big green ones just sitting there?

So, it's the question, I guess: do I start root pruning or topping or...?? (putting green tomatoes into paper bags in the basement or ....???)

Thanks -Allan Shepherdstown, WV 25443

Pat Meadows wrote:
Almost all my tomatoes are dead now from late blight. For
us, it's an annoyance although a fairly large one. For
someone depending on selling them, it could be disastrous.
******
This is the first year that I will have living tomato plants in Sept. I can
only attribute this to the fact that I did not use anything from last year -
cages, stakes, wall o' waters or plastic.

Barb Miller
Tioga County, PA