market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] tomato blight

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Joe Kames" <farfish AT francomm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] tomato blight
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 12:54:30 -0400

We started seeing signs of Early Blight in mid-June about 2 weeks earlier than usual ( unusually hot humid month for this area). We did not think our tomatoes would make it past mid-July. On a friend's suggestion we sprayed peroxide (2oz per gal water) every other day. Applied Daconil every 7 days. We are now having one of our best tomato seasons since the blight showed up. We should be picking to first frost, something we have not done in a long time.

Our local ag. agent cautioned against straw mulch as he suspects it may help incubate fungal spores.
We use plastic mulch. Ag. Agent also advised; sterilize all cages,stakes and etc. At 200 cages that's a little to much for us. Thanks to all for the information here that is so helpful.

Joe
Zone 5 Hudson Valley - Cairo, N.Y,