market-farming - [Market-farming] Garlic presentation at the market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Ray Menke <rndmenke AT lockhart.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Garlic presentation at the market
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 06:25:48 +0000

How do you sell garlic at the market?
We have lots of very dirty garlic (about five different types) to sell
at four high volume markets. ($300 to $400 per hour -one person)
Earlier, we bunched the green or immature garlic and sold it for
$1.50/bunch. Now we have the dry bulbs and cloves to sell, but they are
covered with a fine layer of dirty clay. If they are packed into a
clamshell, the average weight of the package is about 1/2 pound.
Will they "keep" in the clamshell? How much to charge? Can the dirt be
washed off, or will the garlic then sprout? Washing will probably bust
the bulbs into individual small cloves.
We need to present the garlic so it will sell itself (even dirty?)
because our main emphasis is on high volumes of Blackberries, Peaches,
Tomatoes, Onions, and Potatoes, and there isn't time to have to explain
the garlic.
Yesterday at Sam's Club, they offered 3 pounds of very nice Mexican
Garlic for $3.88. (Beautiful, large and very white - nice to cook
with!) It was packed in a mesh bag.
I don't think braiding is anything we could do. (The braids would
probably fall apart between markets.)
If about a pound of garlic was put into a mesh bag, how much would it
sell for?
How do you store the garlic in this hot and humid climate so it will
last until November without rot or mold?

--
Ray Menke
Lytton Springs, TX (subtropics- less than 30 degrees N)