market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] RE: Asparagus and Weeds/ and GUINEAS

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] RE: Asparagus and Weeds/ and GUINEAS
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 16:04:41 -0400

Animals walking and pooping amoung fresh vegetables is a no no.. One
chicken will spread more than 10 pounds of poop around your garden vegies
every month.
When chickens get into asparagus they dig into the crowns and damage next
years shoots... You might try spreading a very thick straw mulch in
winter after removing old stalks. I cut fresh asparagus below the mulch,
making a blanched and tender stalk... Bob.