market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Dealing with Pathogens on trays and in soil mixes Re: Winstrips and speedlings

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marlin Burkholder" <glenecofarm AT planetcomm.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Dealing with Pathogens on trays and in soil mixes Re: Winstrips and speedlings
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 18:29:07 -0500

Let me
> know if you can't make it and are interested in a DVD of the day's
> presentations. (We are currently considering the expense of making a
> DVD for mailorder sales.)

Hello Allen,
I have been following with interest the recent posts on Market Farming
concerning EM (Effective Microorganisms) technology. I wanted to attend the
upcoming conference in Shepardstown WV but I have a conflict and can't make
it. If you are considering having a DVD made of the conference you may
count me in as one who might want a copy. Here is my email handle if you
want to contact me off list glenecofarm AT planetcomm.net .

In 2000 I had an international exchange student from Laos who spent 6 months
living with us and and working on my farm. He told me about something
called Bioextract which He had learned about in his university studies in
his home country. A PHD in Agriculture from Thailand had originally brought
the idea from Korea. It was some sort of homemade concoction involving the
mixing of green organic material with molasses and brown sugar and enough
water to immerse it and letting set to ferment for a week in a closed
container. It is then used to innoculate growing plants, activate compost
piles, control weeds, and deodorize septic systems. We made one attempt to
make a batch but didn't end up doing much with it. This sounds like
something similar to the EM stuff that is currently being discussed on MF.
When I first heard about Bioextract I posted on MF and wrote instructions on
how to make it. I didn't get much of a response, in fact some of the
response it did generate almost sounded like ridicule. I remember one
person mentioning that someone in Korea was using it to recover from
hangovers. Of course I had to write back and wisecrack that it sounds like
something that would cause a hangover, not cure it. Anyway I'm thinking of
playing with the idea again.

Marlin Burkholder