market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Commercial Kitchen question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marie Kamphefner" <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Commercial Kitchen question
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:21:48 -0600

Regards to the list:

Karen, we are in north central Missouri and we built a commercial kitchen in our basement last year.  Missouri state statutes cover all the rules, but it’s best to talk to your local health department.  Before we started the kitchen we talked to our inspector and he helped with the planning.  I understand the inspectors vary from county to county.  If you live in a bigger city, the city’s health department rules take precedence.  In Kansas City, Missouri, they won’t even talk to you if you want to have a commercial kitchen in your home.  The inspector will make sure your refrigeration is cold enough, your water is from an approved source, your sewage is disposed of properly, you have enough sinks and understand what each bay is for, that your room surfaces are smooth and easily cleaned, and he/she may require you to take a food handlers’ safety class, among other things.

I use my kitchen to make wedding cakes year-round and baked goods for the farmers’ market last year.  It looks like product liability insurance will be around $350. this year.  It’s hard to find an agent who will write the insurance.  We’re moving to a different market this year and I haven’t decided yet what I’ll do in the area of baked goods.  I do all the local festivals and expos and sell cinnamon rolls, cookies, pies, cream puffs and breads.  We have a gooseberry festival here and I can’t make enough gooseberry pies to sell.

We grow our own wheat and I use it to make our breads.  Our own eggs go into the baked goods and we plan to make jellies and jams this summer.  In Missouri, you don’t have to have a commercial kitchen to make jellies and jams to sell at market.

Through the years, we’ve bought bakery and kitchen equipment at auctions or used equipment dealers.  I bought my oven on eBay.  My Hobart mixer cost $22. at a school district auction.  The cabinets are a hodge-podge of auction finds with new Formica tops.  The kitchen doesn’t have to cost a fortune, but it would be nice to have a shiny stainless steel kitchen like the Chile Man probably does.  (The Chile Man is my inspiration!)

Marie in Missouri

I also am wondering if we can pull off building a commercial kitchen.  In Missouri we are required to have a separate kitchen for commercial use, and I have not yet found out the regulations for this.  Are there any Missouri people here who can point me to the correct agencies, so I don't need to get shuffled around and be left feeling like I never found the right person?

Thanks,

Karen Smith

Lamplight Hill
"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all men liberally... James 1:5