market-farming - [Market-farming] Winstrip troubles

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marlin Burkholder" <glenecofarm AT planetcomm.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Winstrip troubles
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 20:59:13 -0500

I have given my plants a good inspection and if there are any fungus gnats
or their larvae, I cannot see them. Compared to other years, the roots are
not as bad, but none of the plants are growing like they should. The
weakest plants do show significant root retardation though. About a week
and a half ago my wife moved about half of the broccoli and cabbage seedings
out of the Winstrips into clean inserts. I scolded her a little because I
thought that it was poor time economy to be retransplanting sick plants.
Nevertheless they are looking a little better than the ones remaining in the
Winstrips but still not like they should. This tells me that something
about the Winstrips is causing the problem. Contrary to my former
judgement, yesterday I went ahead and moved several flats of lettuce plants
into new dirt and insert flats in hopes of getting them to field transplant
size in about a week or two. The rest I'm going to go ahead and field
transplant as soon as I can. Ditto with the cabbage and broccoli. They are
about 1/3 to 1/2 the size I would like, but too good to pitch. I have some
month old Red Russian Kale in both Winstrips and inserts that seems to be
thriving with no noticable difference so far.

I guess I should rethink this homemade compost thing though. I've always
been a little too lackadiasical with my compost making methods and afraid to
use it in the greenhouse for fear of bringing in bugs and weeds. I guess I
am going to have to choose what I am going to be fastidious about, using
clean medium and containers, or how I make my compost.

Marlin
Virginia
zone 6