market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] the best bed shaper

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] the best bed shaper
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:22:26 -0600

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 02:55:07PM -0600, TxBeeFarmer wrote:
> Willie,
>
> You were right about me being a row croper. Everything is setup for a row
> spacing of 36". My beds are half the width of yours. This works well
> because I use sweeps to cultivate the furrows which are about the same width
> as my rear tires. The bed is the same.

How about some photos of your cultivating and planting equipment?

> I'm curious though, why do you have such wide beds? Is there some advantage
> to it?

I explained that in another post. At least I attempted to explain.
Basically, that's just what I've always done. And I started that width
to accommodate tomatoes. I generally grow two lines of things like
beans, peas, broccoli per bed. On spinach, I try to put down four
lines, but they rarely get well spaced. I use two PlanetJrs 9" apart
on a tool bar.

OH! That Dale Philips disk is now mostly used to disk between
blackberry rows. I bought it mainly to smooth up root plowed ground; I
think my "clean up new ground" days are about over.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Linux system uptime 241 days 6 hours 18 minutes