market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] the best bed shaper

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: JOHN A HENDRICKSON <jhendric AT wisc.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] the best bed shaper
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 19:53:33 -0600

Allan, can you be more specific on how things have gotten better? In my
defense, I should note that I am yet at a very small scale and have a
decent silt loam soil. I guess part of my question is: should I stick
with raised beds as I increase in scale and get a bed shaper or do what
many growers do and just grow in beds that are not really "raised" in
the same way as beds made by hand or with a bed-shaper are. Bob
provided two factors on which to base this decision: available cash and
disease pressure. Anyone else want to chime in? Is weed cultivation
easier on raised beds made with a bed shaper? How much easier or
improved is direct seeding or transplanting? I should perhaps note that
I do not (at present) plan to use plastic mulch on my farm. -John