market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Our first regular restaurant order!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jackie Fisher" <splltrss AT scrtc.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Our first regular restaurant order!
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 15:17:12 -0600

> From: tonitime AT juno.com
> Hi Jackie!
> How wonderful your orders are rolling in.........it is so great to
> share your enthusiasm with us.
> As one who has been pondering what the heck can be marketed in an area as
> remote as we are in, i do love those success stories.
>
> Toni -in KY for four years, and still just developing good organic
> growing space!
Hi Toni!

Matt John just recently did up a business plan with me for our farm, and I
am just going to post his quote from it here since he said it so very well:
"Kentucky is centrally located within a day's drive of approximately 75% of
the population of the United States which makes shipping more affordable." I
think we sometimes forget that when we are looking for markets for what we
grow. I just had someone call me this morning from out of state hoping to
find a heritage turkey for Christmas since they had appreciated the
Thanksgiving one so much. She said everyone was saying they were sold out.
Yep, we are too, but we will raise more next season.

At least right now the market is good for this but if too many get into
heritage turkeys, the prices will have to come down and then it may be
harder to make any profit on them as they take three times as long to raise.
And turkeys sure do eat! I have been inundated with requests for info on
raising turkeys almost as if it's a get rich quick scheme - ah, what little
do they know, hehehe! Raising turkeys may become the next emu ranch, dot.com
or pyramid scheme of the farm world. We'll just have to wait and see.

Many Blessings to your flocks!

Jackie Fisher
A Different Drummer Farm
300 John T. Fields Rd.
Edmonton, Kentucky 42129
270-432-0970

"Be good to the land and it will be good to you"