market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Forming a Co-Op Good or Bad?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Karen Wynne" <dertgerl AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Forming a Co-Op Good or Bad?
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 12:44:57 +0000

The Ithaca Farmers Market in New York state is a cooperative (www.ithacamarket.com). I think the main motivation for forming the coop was to get a good amount of capital to build a permanent structure. I'm not sure what the advantage would be for most farmers markets, unless they are trying to make some sort of big purchase or do some other group marketing. Basically you become a cooperative corporation, with articles of incorporation, by-laws, an elected board and the members as stockholders. ATTRA has some good links to information on cooperatives at www.attra.org/marketing.html

Karen Wynne

Alabama Sustainable Agriculture Network