market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] get a rope/ was Market Legal Problems --Assistance Requested

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "cheselka AT theriver.com" <cheselka AT theriver.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] get a rope/ was Market Legal Problems --Assistance Requested
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 20:03:03 -0400

Thanks for all the response sofar.

In Arizona, there are statutory prohibitions against the licensing,
permitting, taxing, etc., of growers who are selling their stuff. However,
there's nothing specific about an organization consisting of farmers
gathering those farmers together to sell their stuff in one place.

I agree (of course!!) with the comments about the freedom of assembly, but
as others have pointed out, it seems more to do with the bringing together
of farmers to sell their veggies that the county is having kittens over.

In order to protect the private landowner, we've pretty much decided to
shut down the market until we can work all this out. I won't be affected
(much) becuase I can go back to my little one-man show at the feed store.
However, the integrity of the market might be compromised for a while,
which is a shame.

Ah, growing pains.....

Please -- any other advice or ideas will be eagerly accepted!

Happy growin'!

Matt Cheselka
Cosmic Lettuce

http://mail2web.com/ .