market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Wood Chip Mulch

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Matt Cheselka <cheselka AT theriver.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Wood Chip Mulch
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 06:37:50 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Allan Balliett wrote:

> The question: will mulch on the surface tie
> up nutrients in any significant fashion?

Sorry for showing my ignorance here, folks, but I'd like to understand
what this means. How do wood chips used for mulch above the surface of
the soil effect nutrients deep in the soil?

Do all mulches (like straw and hay) "tie up nutrients"? It's been my
understanding that as they decompose, they ADD to the nutrients in the
soil!

Thanks,

Matt Cheselka
Cosmic Lettuce