market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Wood Chip Mulch

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Wood Chip Mulch
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 08:56:14 -0400

Allan wrote:

Dorene - I would think that the foodweb benefits of mulching would be the same with or without newspaper. It's probably true that the development of anti-nematode fungi would be hampered if I use newspaper, but, what do you think? -Allan

Foodweb, probably, but without the newspaper, no organic mulch will EVER block the sunlight such that weed seeds won't germinate and you'll be spending time weeding, weeding, weeding. No matter how thickly you apply ANY mulch (straw, hay, wood chips, chopped weeds), the sun gets through and thus, the weeds get through.

You have better things to do with your life than weed -- put down the newspaper, then the mulch and just spot-weed the few weeds that come around the base of your plants when they are young.

Dorene

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of