market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cilantro/Coriander

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: marienne AT marienne.com, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cilantro/Coriander
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 07:57:34 -0400

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 16:22:11 -0500, you wrote:

>This won't be the first time, and certainly not the last, that I ask the
>dumb question.

Doesn't seem like a dumb question to me! :) Only NOT
asking is dumb.

>I planted cilantro and it did great and even sold some (imagine that!). I
>plan to do a lot more next year.
>
>Someone told me that when it matures the seeds are coriander. I find no
>reference to this in my books, and only responses of "Gee, I think I've
>heard that, too" from
>friends. So, I've let it go to seed, for the following, possibly
>ill-conceived, reasons:
>
>1) If it is coriander, I'll have some of that on hand.
>
>2) If it is coriander, the books say it's a great companion plant.
>
>3) Perhaps I'll try germinating this seed for next year's cilantro.
>
>So, my questions are, in order:
>
>1) Is it?

Yes. See:
http://www-ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katzer/engl/index.html -
then search on 'coriander' . This site, btw, is a terrific
resource for info on herbs and spices. Very thorough, very
helpful.

>2) Is it?

I don't know.

>3) Will it?

Sure. I grow cilantro from 'coriander' that I've purchased
as a spice all the time.

It bolts to seed very quickly, and won't 'hold' as cilantro
nearly as long as the seed I purchased from Pinetree Gardens
(called Slo-Bolt, IIRC). But buying it as a spice - whole
seeds - is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying it as seeds.

If you grew a slow-to-bolt variety this year, I suppose
there's some possibility that it might be a hybrid and
therefore not 'come true' to the parent.

But anyway: sure you can grow it next year.

Pat