market-farming - [Market-farming] introduction

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Karen Sutherland <kssgu AT marpin.dm>
  • To: Market Farming Community <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] introduction
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 10:26:42 -0300

Hi all,

I heard about the list from Johnny's Selected Seeds Newsletter and think
it's a great idea.

I'm an organic (noncertified) fruits, roots, vegetables and herbs farmer
in tropical Dominica, reviving and reclaiming from vines and elephant
grass an abandoned mountainside rainforest farm that had been mostly
planted to citrus, bananas, avocado, tannias, yams, coconuts, and
cassava. We sell a much greater diversity of crops both wholesale and
retail through a variety of venues, including email. Right now is dry
season. No rain for past 5+ weeks and fierce tropical sun. Despite
obvious climatic and cultural differences from my temperate zone
brothers and sisters, we share similar challenges and goals. I am
looking forward to the sharing of this list community.

All best wishes,

Karen Sutherland
Roots Farm