market-farming - [Market-farming] Rain the great motivator

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Rain the great motivator
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 12:02:38 -0400

Its been a major challenge getting vegetables in on time this season, a
lost week today can cost dearly come September. Being able to move fast
when the weather breaks is critical. Yesterday rain was predicted at
anytime, I hustled out and double disked a two acre patch and built 24,
500 ft long raised beds hand seeded them to pumpkins two seeds per hill
three feet apart, applied the pre emerge weed spray, "Strategy" and got
done in 8 hours with two to spare before the rain.
Managed to transplant some cucumber plants, grade a new parking area at
the market and got two new bluebird nest boxes set up. We got 8/10's
rain overnight.
This is the kind of rain that makes money, it incorporates the
herbicides, melts all the sidedress fertilizer on my corn, watered my
new transplants, germinates allot of seed, and gets my backside in
gear...Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.

  • [Market-farming] Rain the great motivator, robert schuler, 06/04/2003