market-farming - [Market-farming] Transporting Produce

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Transporting Produce
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 07:07:11 -0400

It's a CSA question.

Last year we went with burlap covered poplar field boxes. This year, I'm doing bulk deliveries and do not have any of those nice boxes.

I'm going to be using big rubbermade snap-top tubs to deliver bulk CSA shares: potatoes in a few, carrots in another, arugula in another, etc.

I'm going to be carrying this stuff for up to an hour in the back of an open pickup (but with a tarp).

I'm wondering if others have developed a more effective method of delivering press produce.

I know i've talked to some who use the method above without ice, but I do see mention of 'ice' in some of the archive posts.

I'd sure like to hear your ideas.

thanks

-Allan

PS Oh, yes, and what, exactly, does 'ice' mean in this context?