market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Cloddy soil

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Mike Bosko" <mjbosko AT jmtsystems.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Cloddy soil
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 14:40:42 -0700

Sounds like you might be rushing things to get it taken care of for use this
season, but I would suggest planting the bare ground with buckwheat. I'm no
soil scientist however; take what I recommend w/ a grain of salt. But I've
found buckwheat to grow in poor soils, tolerate drought conditions well, and
its fibrous root system seems to really help break down the cloddy soils.
It grows quickly and I also prefer to reseed it at the flower stage, just
before mowing it down. The mowed mulch will cover and protect the second
set of seeds.

This is what I have done in the past and it seemed to work well here, but
again its only my two cent input.

Mike