market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Dry

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Bill Bradshaw" <eastexfarms AT direcway.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Dry
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 15:49:19 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marc Winterburn" <marcw AT iinet.net.au>
To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 27, 2003 2:56 AM

> Hi Bill,
> Whereabouts in your opinion is the best place to buy commercial amounts of
> Chilli seed. I have found and ordered Jalapenos for about $25US per lb at
> Willhites but have had trouble finding New Mex types, Habaneros, Pasillas
> etc. Also Serrano Del Sol are quite expensive do you have any ideas on
them.
> The New Mex types are proving the biggest headache but since you are
growing

> "A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
> - Bertrand de Jouvenel
>

>Marc, we grow the Mira Sol new mex type, They don't get real large, about
5" long x 1/2" at the stem. I have grown the new mex big Jim but don't have
many sales for them.
The price of seed is high for good seed, I plant the Conchos Jalapeno, this
year 50,000 seed was $1000.00. The Serrano Del Sol was as costly if not more
so.
I buy from Rupp, Chesmore and sometime from Johnny's but there seed is high
also. I do a lot of research in catalogs and on the internet each fall. Just
looking for seed and new varieties.
Our weather here is not the same as it used to be is much dryer in the
summer now. We plant first of April but have had a killing frost as late as
the 15th of April. Got bit this year by late frost. With water we can grow
until Nov. Production does slow in the high heat of summer. But in the fall
it picks up again. Our annual rain is about 45", Let me know what kind of
seed you need and would help you hunt for them. Our Habanero does well all
summer with water. Bill Bradshaw Cherokee Co Texas

---