market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Dry

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marc Winterburn" <marcw AT iinet.net.au>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Dry
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 15:56:46 +0800

Hi Bill,
Whereabouts in your opinion is the best place to buy commercial amounts of
Chilli seed. I have found and ordered Jalapenos for about $25US per lb at
Willhites but have had trouble finding New Mex types, Habaneros, Pasillas
etc. Also Serrano Del Sol are quite expensive do you have any ideas on them.
The New Mex types are proving the biggest headache but since you are growing
them you must be the man to ask.
Where abouts in Texas are you. I am trying to identify an area with similar
climes to us where chilli is grown. We have long summers, short mildish
winters(frosts are rare) most of our rain in winter.( about 24" of our
annual 30"-34"). The rest spread through Spring and late Autumn.
I read in the article in the Southwest Farm Press Titled "Texas weather
favours chile production"
In the article it states that" While both the High Plains and the El Paso
area only plant a spring chile crop, the Valley has both a spring and a fall
crop"
In another paragraph it states"
Harvest dates for chiles also vary across the state. In the Rio Grande
Valley, Crosby said, producers should harvest in late May through June. In
the High Plains, Bender predicts a harvest starting in late July that will
continue through the first of November.
We fall in the latter if the harvest times are taken into account with our
harvest starting in December and carrying on through to May. We are able to
transplant out generally in September. I am trying to grow the best chillies
I possibly can and we don't have much research here in West Aust.
I had habaneros outside all winter last year and they survived well. They
didn't produce much fruit and what they did was small but they survived.
What is the weather like in the Rio Grande Valley and the high plains and El
Paso.
Kind Regards
Marc Winterburn
The Oz Chilli Man

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
- Bertrand de Jouvenel