market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] planting potatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "gwynn and robert" <hamster AT northnet.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] planting potatoes
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 09:40:20 -0500

we've found that hand planting is just as fast (probably faster) than using
the machine. we use the tractor for creating a furrow, then walk along
dropping cut potatoes into the soil. this is, of course, a function of the
scale of your operation. anything bigger than...maybe a half acre? i could
probably justify getting out the transplanter, changing over the grabbers to
the cups, hooking it up the the tractor, etc, etc. i usually find that when
all of the time required to set up the tractor is factored in (not even
including fuel and maintenance time and $) hand planting many items is more
labor efficient -- but again, this is depending on your potato field size.

as far as the transplanter goes, ours would be great for potatoes. we use
it for 5 acres of garlic, and it's very fast when 3 people with quick hands
are on the back. potatoes shouldn't be any different.

bert
J. Robert Webster
ogdensburg, NY