market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] tractor tiller

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mckemie AT access4less.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] tractor tiller
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 17:04:12 -0600

> I am very weak and wobbly from this "illness" so I've been thinking that
> instead of running the big Troybilt I should buy a tiller that can be
> mounted behind the tractor. Orscheln has them for about $1000, but
> those look like they wouldn't till very deep.
>
> Does anyone have any advice about what kind to get? Do they make bed
> shapers that could run behind the tiller? Our tractor is about 80
> horsepower. Would it be possible to run a tiller, bed shaper and
> planter all at the same time? Or am I just being super lazy?

The Mitsubushi 25hp tractor I bought in about 1980 came with a 4.5' or
5' tiller. I used it for a couple of years. Tines wore out quickly
and were expensive. Since the mid 1980s, I have been using disks.
Now, a 8' that I drag a railroad rail behind. The bed shapers I
have seen are 3pt mount and need a fair amount of horsepower; not
adaptable to pulling behind a tiller or a disk. You can find shapers
that will lay fertilizer, plastic mulch, and drip tape in one pass.
I throw up (rough) beds with a dual disk.

I think 6"-7" is about as deep as you can hope to get with a tiller,
whether walk-behind or tractor powered.

--
Willie Time for a Kurdish state?
Are YOU an html abuser? http://www.expita.com/nomime.html