market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] gas tank cleaning & repair

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Errol Castens" <castens AT peoplepc.com>
  • To: <bob AT akasha.net>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] gas tank cleaning & repair
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 08:10:28 -0600

Bob, what you say about not getting the metal hot enough without boiling all
the water surely sounds logical. It may have been that when the brass rod
was melted onto the tank (with an acetylene torch, obviously), its own heat
was enough to form a weak bond with whatever metal the tank was made of.
This was nearly 30 years ago -- a Plymouth Fury III gas tank with a pinhole
in the bottom. No doubt it wouldn't have passed muster in a dealership or a
certified garage, but the leak stopped.

As I recall, the tank was brazed with the front end sitting on the ground
and the bottom, with the hole in it, now forming a tilted upper surface.

Errol Castens
Oxford, Mississippi