market-farming - new farmers market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: new farmers market
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 09:12:50 -0500

would differ with you on your opinion that most tourist eat at
restaurants, at least at Lake Ozarks. As a former meat cutter for the Osage
Beach Wal-marts I watch each Friday evening as hundreds of people from St.
Louis and Kansas City came in buy groceries for the weekend. A large
percentage of the Areas Tourist have weekend cabins and condo's and cook
most if not all of their meals.

We also have a local Produce Auction that I use as an outlet. This Friday
Received $1.35a head for my greenleaf lettuce.

After my recent correspondence with the people at our extension office I am
not sure that we have enough farmers to establish a good market. I intend
to spend this winter looking over all the pro's and con's and making a
decision in March or April.

Richard D. Salmons

In your previous post you mentioned your market may be in an old Wal-Mart
store. Would this be a year round market? I am picturing the size of this
building you could have a huge market. But you then mentioned a lack of
farmers. Big space few vendors could cause customers to walk in and say to
themselves boring. You also mentioned a large amount of vacationers, who
cook.
I think there is an interesting potential here. Vacationers like a
destination (think about when you go on vacation, ok whoops we're farmers).
So I was sitting here picturing this big building with hoards of happy
vacationers waiting for the doors to open. And don't forget the locals who
are now equally intrigued.
So what do we want the group to see when they walk in the door? A FUN
place. Without sacrificing quality or allowing any sort of reselling I
think you could offer a nice mix of vendors. Farmers, craftspeople, cooked
food, a bit of music. All of it being local. Farmers grow their stuff,
craftspeople make their stuff, even the cooked food could have some criteria
maybe a farmer develops this as a value added product, local fried chicken,
local steamed corn on the cob, fresh raspberry turnover etc. You know
vacationers would eat that stuff and so would the locals. Music can add a
nice festive mood if not too loud etc.
The craftspeople may need to go through an "inspection" just like local only
farmers. A proposal submitted of what their craft is etc. Crafts can be a
great addition especially for tourists but then can also give a "tacky"
appearance.
What I am saying as a customer of a few markets (am a farmer like to go
spy). I hate the dinky two table markets and really like the lively a bit
of everything markets (quality stuff however).
Oh no you might be thinking crafts junk music I wanted a farmers market.
Well if you had a ton of farmers to fill you big area a farmers only market
would be great but you don't and you need eye appeal and fun or the few
first customers won't come back and won't recommend it to their friends.
Just some suggestions good luck. Beth

  • new farmers market, Hook Family, 10/30/2002