market-farming - Re: Rain

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Rain
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 06:03:37 -0500

We had rain yesterday-about .5". The week before we got 1.5". Nothing
like what y'all are getting but I would say our summer drought has been
busted. Albeit gently. More rain is forecast as is snow for the end of
the week.

We got our garlic in last week (2480 of 'em) and most of our rye cover
crop is up but the clover still needs to go in. But before it can be
seeded the ground needs to be tilled and it has to dry up a bit to do
the tilling. maybe early next week or this weekend we can get that in.
Also have to get more wood cut for winter too, and it looks like we may
actually have a winter this year. Figures, the year we decide we can
grow things in unheated hoophouses (we have 8 CSA members getting food
until the week before Christmas) all winter is probably the year we will
have snow and ice and a few hoophouses on the ground and nothing to harvest.

One thing about farming, no two years are ever the same.

Lucy Goodman-Owsley
Boulder Belt Organics
New Paris, OH

Looking for a CSA, Farmer's market or other venue for fresh local food?
Check out
http://www.localharvest.com

It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong

Voltaire (1694-1778)

  • rain, Liz Pike, 10/29/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: rain, Joan Vibert, 10/29/2002