market-farming - RE: Farmers Markets without Farmers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Farmers Markets without Farmers
  • Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 15:03:27 -0500

Steve Sando wrote:
> The other market is about 3/4 craft crap and a few produce people. The
> produce is up front but as I was talking ot the organizer, two different
> crafts people approached her about selling thier stuff. I wouldn't care so
> much except I was really cramped on either side.

It sounds like you have enough folks to look into an alternate day for a
market. Please do not attack craft folks since they can be vital to your
success. We have a very small market here and the regulars who built it do
feel that they have a special status which us newcomers have a serious
problem with. Even to the point of reserved locations and buying double
spaces. But our Amish craft folks and other crafters definitely help bring
in the numbers of buyers.

There are times that I wish we had a much larger space that would enable
anyone to have plenty of room to set up.

> The other thing I hear from the market organizers is they can't have too
> much of the same stuff and they want to make sure the vendors already
> established are protected. I was told lavender and tomatoes are more than
> covered. Now I'm actually a down and dirty liberal but this kind of
> protectionism is stupid.

As a middle of the road type (yeah, I know I have Rush Limbaugh types
shooting from one side and Jim Hightower types on the other:), I would find
restrictions on what you can bring very troubling and restraint of trade. I
would definitely be looking at forming another market. Apparently the folks
who are running this market must be from some large corporate mindset or
they would not operate in that manner:)

Sincerely,

Rick Williams