market-farming - Re: Farmers Markets without Farmers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jill Taylor Bussiere" <jdt AT itol.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Farmers Markets without Farmers
  • Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 12:17:05 -0500

Steve,
You would fit in well with the market that we started. Perhaps that
would work for you - starting one in your area that has the goals you
mentioned - local vendors, all products welcome, no protectionism for any
person's items, must follow state health laws, etc. In our market, if
crafts are sold, they must be made by the vendor, and must be ethnic,
agricultural, or historic. And no, a ceramic chicken won't do it. I used to
sell soap that I made along with my vegetables - with an olive oil base soap
that I made (I didn't grow the olives...), hand milled, and then melted with
our goat milk, and mixed with various plant parts and essential oils. We
are a very small town - there are only about 17,000 in our whole county. We
founded our market under the umbrella of our Agricultural Tourism
Association, now renamed Agricultural Heritage Resources. The mission of
that group is both to appreciate the past of farming, as well as help
promote and maintain farming that is going on. The organization envisions
farming in the future as well.
Perhaps you can find some like-minded folks who have the same goals as
you, and some organizations - perhaps a city or town - as farmers markets
are good for towns and cities too, to work with you in getting an
organization off the ground. You don't need too much to start - but
location, location, location. And then it can grow from there - with more
advertising, if needed, etc. We also made our fees very reasonable - $25 a
season - so as to attract small growers, and make the risk low. - Jill,
Wisconsin