market-farming - Farmers Markets without Farmers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Steve Sando" <steve AT mrlucky.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Farmers Markets without Farmers
  • Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 08:01:56 -0700

These are an absolute beginner's thoughts on farmers markets. I'd love to
hear if I'm off base or if these problems are only to my area.

I sell at two markets. One has a row of produce vendors and another row of
prepared food. this seems great although it's in a tourist area so there are
LOTS of people who walk by saying how great it is and isn't too bad they
can't buy anything.

The other market is about 3/4 craft crap and a few produce people. The
produce is up front but as I was talking ot the organizer, two different
crafts people approached her about selling thier stuff. I wouldn't care so
much except I was really cramped on either side.

I travel between 14 and 40 minutes for these two markets.

In my home town, the county seat, there are 2 more markets. Both are full
and there is no room for me. Most of the produce vendors are from out of
town and even out of the county. There are massage booths, a booth for
Christian AM Radio, Dish TV vendors and African nick-nack. Here I am a
local, growing for my neighbors and I can't sell. The makets start I think
in June, when a local would have nothing (or just greens), and end in
September, when harvest is at its peak. I'd like to make a stink but I don't
want to make enemies.

The other thing I hear from the market organizers is they can't have too
much of the same stuff and they want to make sure the vendors already
established are protected. I was told lavender and tomatoes are more than
covered. Now I'm actually a down and dirty liberal but this kind of
protectionism is stupid. When I used to shop these markets, it used to drive
me nuts because it was always the same people with the same things. I even
stopped going becuase I knew exactly what to expect and there were no
surprises. It seems to me, the more vendors, the more exciting. And the more
it increases awareness about great produce. it just raises the standard. And
the lazy producers who sell Brandywines along with their Early Girls and
think they have "heirloom" tomatoes covered, need a kick in the pants.

Now I've gone to ranting. Sorry. But thoughts or suggestions are
appreciated.